The Gunma Prefectual Government has released some need-to-know information about the new COVID-19 Omicron-targeting vaccine shots.
You cannot receive the Omicron-targeting vaccine shot without completing your 1st and 2nd doses, both of which are scheduled to finish at the end of 2022.
“Why is the vaccination necessary?”
Every winter, many people catch COVID-19 from the end of December to January. COVID-19 vaccines are effective against severe symptoms such as fever, cough, etc. Currently, there is a new COVID-19 vaccine available that targets the omicron variant. It is recommended for all people to receive it.
*The Omicron variant is a kind of COVID-19 viruses. So many people have already caught it. We should stay cautious because it is highly infectious.
- Eligibility: You must be 12 years or older, have already gotten your 1st-2nd doses, and wait for three months from your last booster.
- Cost: Free
- Where to get: Vaccination sites or medical facilities in your city/town/village
“What is the benefit of getting the new COVID-19 vaccine?”
The new vaccine is more effective than the ones you received before because it targets both the regular and Omicron varriants of COVID-19.
“Is it safe to receive vaccines from different manufacturers?”
Yes, it is safe to receive vaccines manufactured by different makers.
“Is the new vaccine safe?”
You will probably have similar side effects as the ones you had from the previous shots, regardless if the manufacturer is Pfizer or Moderna.
Please keep the following points in mind:
◆Receiving the new vaccine targeting the Omicron variant is recommended even for those who had been infected with COVID-19 before.
◆ You are requested to keep taking anti-infection measures even after getting vaccinated.
◆ Do not force others to get vaccinated.
◆ Do not discriminate against unvaccinated people.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask by contacting the numbers below. (*Please note that these numbers are not toll-free.)
(1) Gunma COVID-19 Vaccine Helpline
- Answers questions about the vaccines and side effects
- Available 24/7 (in 19 different languages)
- Tel: 0570-783-910
(2) One-Stop Consultation Center for Foreign Residents of Gunma
- Answers other kinds of questions
- Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00-17:00
- Supports inquiries in 5 different languages
- Tel: 027-289-8275